[Yeoncheon] Royal Tomb of King Gyeongsun
- Address288, Jangnam-ro, Jangnam-myeon, Yeoncheon-gun, Gyeonggi-do
- InformationYeoncheon County administrative office: (031)839-2561
- PublishedDecember 1, 2014
- RevisedDecember 5, 2016
Place filled with painful history of defeated Silla, the only royal tomb of Silla that is located in Gyeonggi-do
Historic site No.244, The Royal Tomb of King Gyeongsun is the only royal tomb of Silla that is located in Gyeonggi-do. So why is this tomb in Yeonchun instead of Gyeongju?
When Gyeongsun became a king, Silla was falling apart. When King Gyeonhwon of post Baekjae invaded Silla, King Gyeongae, who was the king at that time, asked help from King Wanggeon of Goryeo. However, before soldiers of Goryeo could reach Silla, Gyeongae was forced to kill himself by Gyeonhwon. Gyeongsun, who was the relative of King Gyeongae, became a king to rectify the situation, although he did not really want to become a king. Gyeongsun then welcomed Wanggeon, who arrived in Silla a year after, and built strong friendship with him. At the year 935, when the lands around Silla was owned by other countries, he surrendered them to Wanggeon, and at that moment His son cried and gave up his position for Gyeongsun, then went to Geumgangsan Mountain. He is the Prince Mauitaeja.
Wanggeon let his eldest daughter marry Gyeongsun, and he married the cousin of Gyeongsun, making Geyongsun the royal family of Goryeo. When Gyeongsun died, the people of Silla wanted to take him to Gyeongju, which is his homeland. However, the law of Goryeo stated that royal family of Goryeo could not be buried outside of Goryeo. This is why the tomb of Gyeongsun was made in Gyeonggi-do.
The tomb disappeared throughout the Imjin war, and then was found during Yeongjo of Joseon. Since no one took care of the tomb during the Korean War, it was in danger of being lost, but in 1970, a soldier found the tomb and it was designated as historic site No.244.
Yeoncheon County, Korea Tourism Organization
Facilities for the disabled
Wheelchair-accessible restroom, Parking area, Ramps
- Operation rules
- We have several rules that is needed to maintain a good community. If we have determined that you have written an article that violate the rules, then we do not notify you, and immediately we can delete the article.
- Criteria to delete the post.
- The act of spreading private information (name, company name, private photos, phone number, Social Security Number, etc) or continuing to write a great number of post or comments.
- Posts to blame or insults others.
- Pornography posts or inappropriate posts for the youth.
- Posts that is different from the service purpose.
- Defamatory posts, such as to blame others or to spread false information.
- Posts that violate the relevant law such as Copyright Violation.