[Ganghwa] Gwangseongbo Fortress
- Address8-27, Haeandong-ro 466beon-gil, Bureun-myeon, Ganghwa-gun, Incheon-si
- InformationGwangseongbo Ticketing Office: (032)930-7070
- Hours of use09:00-18:00
- HolidaysOpen all year around
- PublishedDecember 1, 2014
- RevisedDecember 5, 2016
The greatest battlefield of the United States’ military action in Korea, the biggest fortress that guarded the Ganghwa Straits
Gwangseongbo, designated as Historical Landmark No. 227, is a fortress built by Goryeo after it relocated to Ganghwa to fight the Mongol's aggression. It was built along the straits with soil and stones. The collapsed portions were mended at the time of King Yeonsan of Joseon, and the present Gwangseonbo was made in 1658. The most pronounced event of history in Gwangseongbo was the U.S militaryaction in Korea (1971). This was the fiercest battlefield during the action, and the records proclaim that 243 soldiers of Joseon died in the battle. Yongdu high ground, inside Gwangseongbo, is a very beautiful feature of shape. It is a natural bridgehead installed on the top of the projected natural rock resembling a dragon’s head. The cannons and swivel guns used during the battle are restored in Gwangseong high ground, a round height that comes together inside Gwangseongbo.
In addition, there is Sinmisuneuichong where the graves of warriors who fought with scarce supply of weapons against the U.S Army are. There are also remaining structures like the Ssangchungbigak, a monument to commend the loyalty of Gen. Jaeyeon Eo and his brother, Jaesun Eo. You can see the neighborhood of Ganghwa at Sondolmok high ground, built in a round shape that does not reach Yongdu high ground.
Facilities for the disabled
Wheelchair-accessible restroom and private parking lot
Gwangseongbo, Gwangseong High Ground, Yongdu High Ground, Sondolmok High Ground, Ssangchungnigak,SinmisunEuichong, Monument of warriors against U.S. action, and more
- Operation rules
- We have several rules that is needed to maintain a good community. If we have determined that you have written an article that violate the rules, then we do not notify you, and immediately we can delete the article.
- Criteria to delete the post.
- The act of spreading private information (name, company name, private photos, phone number, Social Security Number, etc) or continuing to write a great number of post or comments.
- Posts to blame or insults others.
- Pornography posts or inappropriate posts for the youth.
- Posts that is different from the service purpose.
- Defamatory posts, such as to blame others or to spread false information.
- Posts that violate the relevant law such as Copyright Violation.